Sheepwash is a village on the southern border of the local government district of Torridge, Devon, England. The parish, which lies nine miles from the town of Holsworthy, about eight miles south of Great Torrington and about ten miles north-west of Okehampton, and is surrounded clockwise from the north by the parishes of Buckland Filleigh, Highampton and Black Torrington.
Looking at the village of Sheepwash now, it is hard to imagine that, in the days when agriculture was at its height, there was a large market held in the village square, making it one of the most important villages in North Devon. Increasing mechanisation of farming forced many people to reshape their lives and seek jobs elsewhere. However, farming still has strong influences in the area, with employment also being found in the neighbouring towns, local clay works or in the village itself.
The name Sheepwash is first documented in 1166 (as Schepewast) and means, as it sounds, a place where sheep were washed before shearing
Latest News/ Events
Next Council Meeting
Zoom Video Meeting
Or telephone in to the meeting on 0203 695 0088
and use the Meeting ID and Password above.
Sheepwash Support Network